- Alexander A. Turygin
- Kostroma State University
- Ivan S. Bakharev
- Kostroma State University
- THE IMAGE OF THE RUSSIAN EMPIRE IN THE MEMOIRS OF FRANCISCO DE MIRANDA
- Turygin А.А., Bakharev I.S. The image of the Russian Empire in the memoirs of Francisco de Miranda. Vestnik of Kostroma State University, 2022, vol. 29, № 3, pp. 82–88. https://doi.org/10.34216/1998-0817-2022-28-3-82-88
- Publish date:
The article is devoted to the specificity of the linguistic characteristics of the image of Imperial Russia based on the diary of Sebastián Francisco de Miranda y Rodríguez de Espinoza (Francisco de Miranda). The main purpose of the article is to analyse the identity of the author’s linguistic representation, formulating the basis of his understanding of Russia during the reign of Catherine II. The article examines the image of the Russian Empire as a holistic concept, as well as linguistic descriptions of the country’s inhabitants in order to generalise the information received and compile the image of Russia in the 18th century. To understand this image, based on the diary of Francisco de Miranda, some restrictions were made: firstly, because his social circle was limited mainly to aristocrats, and secondly, because of his considerations of a future mission in the colonies. For this reason, the entries of Francisco’s diary can be divided into three thematic blocks: a) general description of Imperial Russia as a holistic image (geographical areas, architectural buildings, social concepts such as education and art, the level of economic development, social inequality, the military); b) characteristics of the Russians; c) foreigners’ attitude towards Russia, that also affected the perception of Francisco de Miranda.
Francisco de Miranda, journey, Russian Empire, representative image, diary, Age of Enlightenment, diplomacy, war, Latin America, colonialism.
- Literature list:
Al'perovich M.S. Fransisko de Miranda v Rossii [Francisco de Miranda in Russia], ed. by B.I. Koval', AN SSSR, In-t vseobshch. istorii. M., Nauka Publ., 1986, 349 p. (In Russ.)
De Miranda, F. Puteshestvie po Rossijskoj Imperii = Viajes por el Imperio de Rusia [Journey through the Russian Empire = Viajes por el Imperio de Rusia], trans l. V.A. Kapanadze, E.F. Tolstoj. M., Nauka Publ., Interperiodika Publ., 2001, 362 p. (In Russ.)
Kostornichenko V.N. “Russkaya Amerikaˮ i mezhdunarodnaya diplomatiya: Fransisko Miranda pri dvore Ekateriny II [“Russian America” and International Diplomacy: Francisco Miranda at the Court of Catherine II]. Vestnik Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo lingvisticheskogo universiteta. Ser.: Obshchestvennye nauki [Bulletin of the Moscow State Linguistic University. Series: Social Sciences], 2018, № 3 (806), pp. 85-97. (In Russ.)
Lavreckij I.P. Miranda [1750–1816]. [Miranda [1750–1816]]. Moscow, Mol. gvardiya Publ., 1965, 272 s. (In Russ.)
- Alexander A. Turygin, Candidate of Historical Sciences, Associate Professor, Kostroma State University, Kostroma, Russia, email@example.com, https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0758-6422
- Ivan S. Bakharev, student, Kostroma State University, Kostroma, Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9399-5446