- Natalia K. Ilyina
- Kostroma State University
- The last corrections in the translation of the comedy “The Taming of the Shrew” by William Shakespeare
- Ilyina N.K. The last corrections in the translation of the comedy “The Taming of the Shrew” by William Shakespeare. Vestnik of Kostroma State University, 2021, vol. 27, № 4, pp. 120-124 (In Russ.). https://doi.org/10.34216/1998-0817-2021-27-4-120-124
- Publish date:
An attempt to answer the question if Aleksey Damich, who had undertaken the 4th edition of W. Shakespeare's works in Russian translations in 1887–1888, took into account the corrections in the translation of “The Taming of the Shrew”, which Alexander Ostrovsky had made shortly before death, is made in this article. In answering this question positively, the author of the article substantiates her conclusion with an analysis of the discrepancies in 6 different editions of Alexander Ostrovsky's translation of this play. Comparison of Aleksey Damich’s edition with one by Nikolay Martynov also allowed addressing the question of the nature of the last changes in the comedy translation text that Alexander Ostrovsky made.
William Shakespeare, Alexander Ostrovsky, Nikolay Martynov, Aleksey Damich, edition, translation, comedy “Taming of Shrew”.
- Funding and acknowledgments:
The reported study was funded by Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR), project number 19-012-00070A
- Literature list:
Biblioteka A.H. Ostrovskogo [Library A.H. Ostrovsky], description, comp. F.V. Ilyina, K.F. Vanyagina, A.N. Brukhansky. Leningrad, 1963, 273 p. (In Russ.).
Gerbel' N.V. Polnoe sobranie sochinenii Villiama Shekspira v perevode russkikh pisatelei [The complete works of William Shakespeare translated by Russian writers, ed. D. Mikhalovsky], ed. by D. Mikhalovskogo. St. Petersburg, 1899, vol. 1, pp. 467–504. (In Russ.).
Morozov M.M. Izbrannye stat'i i perevody [Selected articles and translations]. Moscow, Goslitizdat Publ., 1954, 596 p. (In Russ.).
Levin Iu.D. O poslednei redaktsii perevoda A.N. Ostrovskogo “Usmirenie svoenravnoi” [About the latest revision of the translation by A.N. Ostrovsky “Suppression of the wayward”]. Shekspir. Bibliografiia russkikh perevodov i kriticheskoi literatury na russkom iazyke, 1748–1962 [Shakespeare. Bibliography of Russian translations and critical literature in Russian]. Moscow, Kniga Publ., 1964, pp. 564–566. (In Russ.).
- Natalia K. Ilyina, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Kostroma State University, Kostroma, Russia, firstname.lastname@example.org