- Kirill Yu. Zubkov
- National Research University Higher School of Economics, the Institute of Russian Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- Vladimir V. Tikhomirov
- Kostroma State University
- Unknown review by Aleksandr Nikitenko of the comedy The Forest by Alexander Ostrovsky in the receptive history of the play
- Tikhomirov V. V., Zubkov K.Yu. Unknown review by Aleksandr Nikitenko of the comedy The Forest by Alexander Ostrovsky in the receptive history of the play. Vestnik of Kostroma State University, 2020, vol. 26, № 1, pp. 125–131 (In Russ.). DOI 10.34216/1998-0817-2020-26-1-125-131
- Publish date:
For the first time, we publish an unknown review written by Aleksandr Nikitenko, a member of Imperial Academy of Sciences, of the comedy by Alexander Ostrovsky "The Forest". This review was compiled on behalf of the commission that distributed Aleksey Uvarov’s awards for the playwrights after Alexander Ostrovsky submitted his play to the competition. Review by Aleksandr Nikitenko was read at a meeting of the commission; its copy has been discovered in his personal archive. Alexander Ostrovsky participated in the competition for Aleksey Uvarov’s award for more than 15 years, but he achieved success only twice: with his "The Storm" in 1860 and with the drama "Sin and Sorrow Are Common to All" in 1863. Aleksandr Nikitenko, himself a member of the academic commission, for several years was reviewing all the works that competed for the prize, and almost always gave negative conclusions about them. He reacted sharply negatively to "The Forest" as well. In the article, Aleksandr Nikitenko’s review is considered in the context of literary, critical and theatrical criticism of the comedy by Alexander Ostrovsky, which were released shortly after its publication and production. The publication was prepared on the basis of archival documents found in St. Petersburg department of the Archive of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Manuscript Department of the Institute of Russian Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Alexander Ostrovsky, Aleksandr Nikitenko, literary prizes, textual criticism, literary criticism, theatrical criticism, drama performance.
- Funding and acknowledgments:
The reported study was funded by RFBR according to the research project
No. 19-012-00070 А
- Literature list:
. Peterburgskaia letopis' [Petersburg annals]. Birzhevye vedomosti [Exchange statements], 1871, № 26, 27 January. (In Russ.)
Vnutrennie novosti (Peterburgskaia khronika) [Internal News (Petersburg Chronicle)]. Golos [Vote], 1871, № 304, 3, November. (In Russ.)
Burenin V.P. Zhurnalistika (Koi-chto ob Ostrovskom i ego poslednei komedii) [Journalism (Something about Ostrovsky and his latest comedy)]. Sankt-Peterburgskie vedomosti [Petersburg statements], 1871, № 76, 17 March (In Russ.)
Boborykin P.D. Russkii teatr [Russian theater]. Delo, 1871, № 11, Sovremennoe obozrenie, рр. 33. (In Russ.)
Zelinskii V.A. Kriticheskie kommentarii k sochineniiam A.N. Ostrovskogo. [Critical comments on the works of A.N. Ostrovsky]. M., 1896, Part. 4, 239 р.
Krasnov G.V. Nikitenko Aleksandr Vasil'evich [Nikitenko Alexander Vasilievich]. Russkie pisateli, 1800–1917, Biograficheskii slovar' [Biographical Dictionary]. M., BRE, 1999, Vol. 4, рр. 297–302.
Neizdannye pis'ma k A.N. Ostrovskomu [Unpublished letters to A.N. Ostrovsky]. M., L., Academia, 1932, 741 р.
Ostrovskii A.N. Poln. sobr. soch.: v 12 t. [Full Sobr. Op.: in 12 vol.]. M., Iskusstvo, 1974, Vol. 3.
Teatral'nyi nigilist . V lesu [In the woods]. Peterburgskii listok [Petersburg leaf], 1871, № 219, 6 November.
Solov'ev N.I. Russkaia zhurnalistika v 1871 godu [Russian journalism in 1871]. Russkii mir [Russian world], 1871, № 17, 18 September
Tikhomirov V.V. A.N. Ostrovskii – laureat literaturnykh premii [A.N. Ostrovsky – winner of literary prizes]. Shchelykovskie chteniia – 2003. A.N. Ostrovskii v sovremennom mire [Shchelykovsky readings – 2003. A.N. Ostrovsky in the modern world]. Kostroma, 2004, рр. 18‒28.
Tikhomirov V.V. Komediia A.N. Ostrovskogo «Les»: v poiskakh geroia. Opyt kommentariia [Comedy A.N. Ostrovsky “Forestˮ: in search of a hero. Comment Experience]. Vestnik Kostromskogo gosuniversiteta [Vestnik of Kostroma State University], Kostroma, 2019, Vol. 25, № 3, pp. 84–88.
- Kirill Yur’yevich Zubkov, ORCID 0000-0003-3591-8252, Candidate of Philology, National Research University Higher School of Economics; Institute of Russian Literature of the Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia E-mail: email@example.com
- Vladimir Vasil’yevich Tikhomirov, Doctor of Philology, Professor, Kostroma State University, Kostroma, Russia E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org